8 Fun Family Activities to Try this Fall
All families are crazy busy these days! Some days it is all you can do to keep up with sick kids, laundry, appointments, work, and trying to stay fit on top of it all! As a result, we have all fallen into the tech trap. Screens and more screens are everywhere and kids LOVE THEM!
Much research has been done on why screen time isn’t great for young children’s brain development (i.e. Attention Deficit Disorder). Screen time should be closely monitored for kids ages 5 and under. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO screen time for Children ages 2 and under. Newer research has started to link increased screen time with a drop in social skills of empathy and kindness.
In response, here are some great fall ideas to capture that good old family time!! Connect, grow and learn with your kids and spread some kindness to those around you!
- Make some Playdough and Roll with it. Season with Pumpkin Pie Spice. Sooooo good!
- Create a neighborhood scavenger hunt and then recruit some neighbors to do it with you.
- Pick a charity and run a lemonade stand to fundraise.
- Design an obstacle course in your backyard or at a park. Include simple tasks such a jumping over a block, carrying a hardboiled egg in a spoon, running to a tree, putting on large shoes or a costume and carrying a ball to a basket.
- Make a scarecrow using old clothing from a second-hand shop and straw to stuff it. Use a plastic pumpkin as the head and attach by drilling a hole in the bottom and inserting a wire hanger.
- Dig out your favorite board game, such as the Rainbow Fish game included in our Friendship box.
- Gather and paint leaves you collect. Add rocks and pinecones too!
- Carve a pumpkin. Let your kids get into it with both hands. Parents do the cutting of course!
Curly Clues Club designs activity boxes for kids ages 3-8, focused on social and emotional development. All boxes include original content designed with love by a speech & language pathologist.